Dan Bental and Dana Levi Watstein – Report of State Comptroller’s Office.
The national expenditure related to medical malpractice is estimated in billions and no action was taken to implement the recommendations of the State Comptroller since 2012, see report of 80 pages at: http://www.allianceforpatientsafety.org.il
- Marsh company Reports that billions are wasted in attorneys fees & compensation for damages.
- NO Immunity for witnesses in healthcare investigations as it exists in Aviation, NOR is there any anonymous reporting of incidents,…
- As a result of Patients’ Rights § 21, hospitals’ investigations are NOT confidential and may be disclosed, which is not the case in the US.
Hence, over 3 years (2008 to 2010), there was NO Investigation in Hospitals at Ichilov, Tel Hashomer, Assaf Harofe, Wolson, Barzilay & at Wolfson there was ONE single Investigation !
There was NO reporting from hospitals to the Health Dept. but only to the professional liability insurance companies.
- Only 2 to 4 % of complaints are investigated by the Health Dept. They are usually initiated a year after receiving the complaint and last over a long period of time, i.e. several years. As a result, it compromises the investigation.
- There is a basic conflict of interest due to the fact that the Health Dept. investigates its own medical staff’s wrongdoing in the public sector and determines the compensation due to patients and/or their families. This issue was raised in 2001 & 2004 before this committee. Thus, in order to raise the Public trust and establish objectivity in the process, it was recommended to create an independent agency out of the Health Dept. to investigate medical malpractice cases & rule on litigations.